This week I’ve had to say “no” to a lot of opportunities I would’ve liked to say “yes” to.
I’ve found myself feeling a sense of guilt both because I feel like I’m letting people down and I’m not able to do as much in a week as others around me seem to do.
Our work culture tells us not be a person who makes excuses but accepting the limitations of life’s seasons is healthy. This is what my seasons of life life is right now:
- My wife is at work or on call 84 hours per week.
- I have a two-year old and a baby on the way.
- My nearest family member lives two states away.
Instead of feeling guilty, I’m trying to focus on this:
- I am a quality developer and demand for my services is higher than their supply. This is a good thing and a testament to the quality of work I do.
- I get to spend a lot of quality time with my son every week and experience his joy as he discovers more and more about his world.
- I am supporting someone I love as they launch a new phase of their career.